sábado, 21 de junio de 2008

Catching up- Part 2

Friday came around, and I was actually quite happy to be going by myself. I figured I'd have time to use the internet or go to the botanical garden, but, in the end, I never really had time for either. In the morning, I explored the mall for a little while, and then promptly headed to the waiting room to see if Pilar was going to come talk to me. I felt a little bad about her last visit, so I wanted to show her that I am not always completely out of my mind. She never came around, nor was I able to talk to Mauri ahead of time because he was busy eating, etc.- so I had come running to the waiting room early for nothing. Mauri had finally decided that it was in his best interest to move to the bed during the day (rather than spending the day sitting, trying to position himself uncomfortably so as not to rest on his back). So, he was at a different window for the visit, something that I liked much better because it meant that he was closer to the window, and I could actually see him for once.
I spent the afternoon with Mauri's cousin, at her house, and we watched tv and relaxed for awhile. In the evening, I returned to the ICU, sad to see an ambulance in front. I knew that if there was an emergency, that I wouldn't be able to go see Mauri in person. I talked to Mauri on the walkie talkie and was happy to hear that if I waited for about half an hour, that they would be finished with the emergency visit, and that I would still be able to go see Mauri. He was already ready in the wheelchair, where he had been moved right before the emergency visit arrived. So, I waited, and was finally allowed to enter and see him.
Everyone seemed much happier than several days before. Sofia asked if I was feeling better, and I happily responded that I was, quite glad to see that she wasn't mad at me. When I went in, I noticed that they had changed Mauri's bandages. He said that a little while before, an on-call doctor had decided to change the outer layers. Although it was a slightly painful experience for Mauri, it also made him feel better because the other bandages had been stained by the fluid that oozes from his burnt back- something that Mauri assured me smelled very bad (although I didn't really notice, even when I put my nose up to the bandages).
Lucky for me, they let me stay late, and they let me give Mauri his dinner again.
Once dinner was over, I ran to catch my bus.
Friday night I was finally able to catch up on my sleep. Since I was planning on going to Valencia with Mauri's parents, brother, and our niece, I didn't have to catch the early bus, and was able to sleep a little later than usual. I wrote up a blog entry, and then was off to Valencia. This morning, Mauri was once again in the same bed as yesterday. The whole family talked to him, and then we went to go eat. After lunch, the rest of the family went home, and I decided to hang out at the mall. I wrote the other blog entry, and went running back to the clinic.
A little bit past 6:30, they let me go in and see Mauri, but he wasn't feeling very well. Every evening, he seems to have a fever, and is given Nolotil to help bring it down. Unfortunately, the Nolotil also makes him feel very hot. He tells them to use a slow drip rate, so that it won't affect him so much, but this time, the nurse didn't listen. So, Mauri was feeling pretty sick throughout the visit, and just as he started to feel better, I was told that I had to leave (7:30, right on the hour this time). I guess I can't complain, at least I got to go see him.
Having been kicked out on time, I had an extra hour and a half to kill. So, I bought some groceries to bring home with me (I'm never in Denia during the times that supermarkets can be open- another thing I can thank the actual government for), and I bought myself some magazines and a doner kebap to eat on the bus ride home.
I'm sure the next two days will be just as uneventful as the last 2 were... and then will come Monday.

No hay comentarios: