lunes, 16 de junio de 2008

No news is good news

Well, up until today, things were going quite well. On Saturday, I came in the morning with Mauri's mom, dad, brother, and our little niece, Noa. The visit was pretty uneventful. Mauri complained that his back hurt more than usual and that he was frustrated because he couldn't move his arms as much as he could before the last curing/cleaning session. Partly, this has to do with the fact that the bandages were put on more tightly than before, though.
After lunch, everyone went home and I stayed behind for the evening visit. I was happy to see that they were going to let Mauri out to see me in person. While I was waiting for them to get him ready, the doctor came out and talked to me. He said that Mauri was doing quite well. I told him about the pain that Mauri felt, but the doctor assured me that that was a good sign. If he didn't feel any pain, then they would be worried.
Anyways, the visit went well, and I went home exhausted- much too tired to write.
Yesterday, I came to Valencia by myself. Mauri's mom was going to take care of my niece, so I decided to call my aunt Carmen to come and keep me company. In the end, both Roberto and Carmen came, and we went to see Mauri for the morning visit. The doctors had changed the bandages on his back that morning, so he was still sore, but, despite that, he really looked better than ever. They had taken the bandages off Mauri's face, and it really looked quite good. Now, on his head, he only has a bandage on his right ear.
Other than the complaint about the rest of the bandages being too tight, Mauri was doing well. They had told him that they would adjust the bandages on Tuesday.
After lunch with Roberto and Carmen, I saw them off to their taxi, and I went to see Mauri again.
Once again lucky, they asked me if I was alone. Since I was, they told me that I could go in, and that they would bring Mauri out into the room so that I could see him in person again. I had to cut the visit a little short because the bus schedule is different on Sundays, but overall it was a good visit, and Mauri looks to be doing pretty well.

Then- came today. For the first time I'm writing from a (rather expensive- so I'll look for a new one tomorrow) place with internet nearby the hospital. Last night, I was once again too tired to write, and when I woke up in the morning, it was almost time for me to leave. Anyways, the morning visit started out OK, but when I was called out right away, I got to see that my favorite person was at the desk. I hadn't seen her since I told her off over a week ago (Friday)- and I suddenly knew why I had been kicked out so early today (she loves to do what she can to make you as miserable as possible).
I wanted to speak with a doctor- not only to ask how things had gone over the weekend with the curing session, etc., but also to find out when I should come tomorrow morning. Of course, Miss not-so-helpful told me that the doctors were in surgery.
--Do you know when they'll be done?
--No- I can't go in there while they're in surgery. (I didn't expect you to, stupid. Nor did I ask you to)
--Have they been there long?
--Since this morning
--So, I'm assuming that they'll be out soon (2:45 afternoon now already)- can I wait and talk to them.
--You can wait if you want. (with a look that says, but you'll be bothering me if you do)

As, in the evening, noone that has to do with Mauri's case is usually around, I decided to stay. After about a half an hour, my favorite woman tells me:
--The doctors have left- I didn't notice. (Of course you didn't, @$%$@$- I knew from the beginning that you were going to try to make things as bad for me as possible.)
--So, will I be able to speak to someone at night?
--You can try- and try to talk to whoever is on call. (who will be someone who usually works with kids and doesn't even have a clue as to who your husband is.) I just wanted to let you know so that you wouldn't keep waiting. (How very kind of you)

So, now I'm very frustrated again. Yes, I believe she does these things on purpose, and then tries to pretend she's helping you out when she's really trying as hard as she can to make things go badly for you.
Now, I'm even regretting having left because I wouldn't put it past her to tell me that they had left when they really hadn't.

Anyways, Mauri had told me that tomorrow, he will be under general anesthesia. They will do the deep scraping of his back, and if they feel they need to do grafting, then they will do it with the only skin Mauri has left- the skin from his lower right leg.
Mauri, of course, was frustrated by that news. That's the other reason that I wanted to talk to the doctor. To make things worse, they don't have him scheduled as the earliest surgery- he's schedule for 11:30. What does that mean? Well, he can't eat or drink all night, he won't be able to eat or drink all morning, and then he won't be able to eat or drink until 6 hours after the surgery have passed!!
So, the longer they put him off, the more miserable his day ends up being, and the less likely it is that he will be able to sleep the following night.

This evening, I can expect the witch (mole and all, that goes with her bad hair tint job) to be there. So, I'm not expecting to be able to see Mauri in person, nor do I expect to be able to be there the full hour. Lastly, I doubt I will be able to talk to a doctor- not even the one who knows nothing.
argh!!!!
I'll let you know if I'm wrong tomorrow.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Sorry, Sweetie,
Let's hope and pray that things go better tomorrow. Still there is so much to be thankful for. I'm glad Mauri is doing so well, all things considered. On the positive side, if they do any grafting on his back it will mean no more deep cleaning, won't it. That would be really good news. Love you both,
Mom