sábado, 7 de junio de 2008

I needed some sleep!!

Well, last night I never made it to posting. I sat on the couch, and the next thing I knew I was opening my eyes to find it was the middle of the night. I guess I eventually was going to need to get some sleep.
Anyways, today was a bit better day. Partly because going alone in the morning allowed me some alone time. I'm not used to having someone with me constantly 20 hours a day. There's very few people that I could happily spend that much time with, and I must admit that my mother-in-law isn't at the top of that list right now. Don't get me wrong, she's a great person, but she's also a very nervous person who can't sit still. I'm nervous enough already right now, so the constant pacing, moving of the legs, and opening and closing of her fan does start to wear at the little patience I have left.
Anyways, today I caught the 9:30 (should be called 10:00) bus, and arrived a little before noon. I relaxed for awhile in the sun at the park, and then headed towards the hospital at around 1:00. Knowing that Mauri wasn't scheduled for any morning curing sessions, I started to call him on the walkie talkie. I entered the clinic, and found no one. Mauri didn't answer, so I started to call him on the phone. He didn't answer it either. So, I started to get nervous. You can't go in, so I couldn't go to see that everything was OK. All I knew was that he couldn't answer his phone, and that noone was in sight- and it's a weekend, so the hospital is a ghost town. So, I hysterically call and call and call. Finally Mauri answers in an annoyed. "¿Qué pasa?" I explain my hysteria, and he explains that they were all with him trying to move him to a chair because his head hurt from being in the bed for so long without a break from it. He said that he was going to eat, and that then they would let me in. ("but it's 1:30 already, will they kick me out on time? (after yesterday, you wonder)") He said they would let me stay a bit longer afterwards.
So, I wasfinally let in, and had a great conversation with him, finally able to talk to him semi-privately (as privately as you can on a walkie talkie through a window- with workers around on his side who can hear). He was reliving his experience from the day he was burnt (something he wouldn't have done with his mother around), and told me his realization that if he had lost consciousness, that I would be a widow right now. No one found him until 15 minutes after the boat started to burn, and then who would have tried to revive his charred body? He had gone back to the kitchen of the boat(the fire went towards the air, so he couldn't escape out the back), and was able to break the window there to get some air. I hadn't realized that he had been trapped inside with the flames on the boat for so long, so now I understood why he still coughs up black. I explained to him, that I never knew how bad the situation was, because no one had wanted to scare me, and they had told me that he had been "burnt a little." An urgency outside made everyone forget about the one visitor at the burn unit, so it wasn't until a man came and turned off the lights, and closed the door, that I decided I should leave. (I could have probably gotten away with hiding in there until night, but...) I looked in to the entrance of the burn unit (the doors are normally closed, but they were open) to say thank you to the woman who let me stay late, and I hear from behind me a tense "¿Qué hace Ud. allí?"
I think he was just surprised to see someone still here. I explained that I was leaving from the visit, and that I just wanted to thank the other woman, and he calmed down. (No, I wasn't trying to sneak in, even though I have thought about it many a time)
After a huge doner kebab in the park, and about an hour in the crowded, Saturday mall, I got a message on my phone. It was from Mauri! I still can't explain how he sent the message with his bandaged hands.
I called him and told him I would head for the hospital park so that I could talk to him on the walkie talkies. I was there talking to him until the entire family arrived. Today it was Pepe and Pepita, José and his daughter, Noa. So, with my little, crazy niece in hand, I headed for the night visit.
I guess this has become my journal, so for those who just want the info. on how Mauri was today, here's the summary:
His headache was probably due to the fact that he has a fever. Sitting up, though, helped him feel better. Unfortunately, his legs can't fully bend, due to the lack of skin on them and the tight bandages, so can't lean forward. This means that he has to rest against his back, something that he shouldn't be doing for long periods of time.
They transfused more blood today, too.
Mauri's main complaint today:
he was frustrated that after our evening visit, they were going to bandage his face because the burns there are worse than what they originally thought. For him that is just one more thing that will annoy him and make him feel hotter. In his mind, things aren't progressing as quickly as he would like them too, and for him, it makes it seem like things aren't improving, and they're even getting slightly worse.

No hay comentarios: