miércoles, 4 de junio de 2008

A quick note to everyone-

Well, since I haven't gone to Valencia yet, I have no new news about Mauri. I just wanted to write a quick note to everyone who's reading this.
First of all, I think there may have been some confusion about Mauri's state. While they refuse to tell us that he will be OK (they say complications can arise at any time), they also say he is young and a very strong person, and that if he puts his mind to it, he should recover. They are monitoring daily with blood and urine analyses to make sure his kidneys will continue to function well. I am confident that he will get better, and that the doctors also believe that, but that they have to protect themselves by saying what they did about the complications. Yes, he does have serious burns, and burns can badly affect the body in ways that we can't fully understand, but he also has been lucky in some respects.
First of all, the most serious burns did not go below the waist nor did they reach his neck or above. We were told that the scar tissue is different (less flexible) than his skin, and that those are the most uncomfortable areas for scar tissue to form. (It would have pulled his head backwards...) I asked about sweat glands, and although there are areas where they will have been destroyed, his underarm area should be OK, so one of his main areas for being able to regulate body temperature in the future will be OK.
For those who know Mauri well enough, you will know that Mauri is always hot, and that he likes to workout a lot. So, that reassured me.
As anyone is his position would be, he is worried about what he will look like after he heals. His face, though, only has first degree burns- which has the effect of a peeling, really. Yes, people stare at burn victims afterwards, but the areas that he has most badly burnt can really be covered up in the future when he wants to. Some people have seemed critical of us even discussing this. Yes, this is secondary to his health, but I would have a hard time believing that not everyone in his position would be worried about it- I know I would- feel free to call me superficial. :)
Anyways, lastly I wanted to say that I am doing well.
Yes, I am sad at times, frustrated, annoyed easily. The situation does suck. (sorry of that offends anyone reading). No, it's not fun going to Valencia every single day with my mother-in-law, sitting around waiting to be able to talk to Mauri from behind a wall, through a window. I feel like he's in a jail or the zoo or something. I get frustrated because the bus schedule doesn't favor us, and we can't leave or arrive until late at night. So, I'm not home much and get little sleep trying to do as much as I can while I'm here (when I probably should be sleeping).
Having said that, I'm really OK. I won't lie- the first two days I didn't really eat or sleep, but I have since accepted the situation. Our lives have already been slightly put on hold, so I would like to try to enjoy the little free time that I have. Nobody should feel uncomfortable writing or talking to me. There's nothing anyone can really say to help the situation, nor should that have to be the only thing that I talk about- it already takes up most of my day. While Mauri's family hasn't wanted to go to dinners they were invited to, etc.- I see no need to go into "mourning." It doesn't make sense to me. There's too many things to be happy about. He is going through a rough phase right now, but is on his way to recovery. He didn't die in the fire, and has really been relatively lucky with where he burnt himself. So, yes you can write to me about fun stuff in your lives like you always have. This doesn't upset me, and is a good distraction. I don't expect everyone to be miserable just because of what happened- nor do I feel that I should have to be miserable. Mauri wouldn't/doesn't want that. It doesn't always have to be about what happened to Mauri. I already know that I have a lot of support. I love the notes of support- and there's a few that I really want to write back to and will when I get the chance- but you can be yourselves "around me" (even if that means on the internet :) )
Well, I have to run to catch the bus.
I will update tonight.
Thanks again to everyone- you know I love you all back-now have some fun!!!
(I bet you students feel more guilty than ever for having abandoned me jejeje)

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

Queridos Mauri y Tracy,

Estamos orando por uds., en particular para que Mauri vaya sanando y recuperandose lo mas rapido posible. Que Dios los acompa~e.

Dianne Zandstra
Spanish Dept., Calvin Collete