sábado, 21 de junio de 2008

Let's see if I can catch up...

Anyways, I'm back at surfing the net at the mall. It may not be the cheapest place, but it is the most convenient, and the place where I'll least likely be attacked by some man with a beard that talks to himself. At least it lets me pass the time until my next visit.
Possibly the most depressing thing about this experience is that I'm constantly hoping for time to go by. Normally, I would be waiting for summer to come, but this year I would prefer to hibernate it away, hoping to awaken to this whole ordeal being over with. Sadly, I think Mauri would choose to do the same. He has already hinted at wishing that Dr. House were his doctor so that he could provoke a temporary coma that would last the entire healing process.
Going back to where I was before:
Tuesday night, when I got on the bus, Mauri sent me a message that he was feeling better. Unfortunately, although that did help a little, it was too little too late. I was already too upset, but even so, I was able to fall asleep when I got home.
The next morning, I didn't exactly feel better. I once again was being accompanied by Mauri's mom, and she was trying to cheer me up, but it only made matters worse. (For future reference, it's good to know that I usually just need to be left alone when I'm upset, especially for those who don't like being barked at). We went to the waiting room early, and I went to talk to Pilar, a nurse who works there that knows a friend of my aunt. (Complicated enough??) Unfortunately, it wasn't the best day for anyone to meet me. I told her why I was upset (it felt like we were starting over again, and that the end was noowhere in sight- plus I'd had enough of talking to my husband over the walkie talkie through the stupid window- I may as well be talking over the cell phone in video conferencing mode and save myself the trip- it's not like I could see him). Always the "helper," Mauri's mom said that the situation was great because they'd even brought him out to see me. Of course, she said all of this in front of the wife of the other patient that had recently been brought to the ICU, which would later cause us more problems.
We visited Mauri, and he could tell I was upset. He told me not to worry, that he was feeling a lot better, and that I needed to get some sleep. (Somebody knows me a little too well, as sleep deprivation doesn't exactly bring out the best in me).
We spent the afternoon at Mauri's cousin's house. It hadn't been planned for today, but after the revelation that I was tired to the point of being irrationally difficult, it was decided that I needed a place to nap. After lunch, I was directed to go upstairs and sleep on their bed, something that did help me feel a little bit better. We arrived at the visit, and I was excited because I heard that they were planning on bringing Mauri out. Many minutes past visiting time had passed, though, and the "bruja" didn't say anything. I heard a door open, still with no word, and the other patient's family entered. So, we decided to follow. We got to Mauri's window, and Sofia and Josefina were moving Mauri to a wheelchair- a good sign. So I went back out to wait at the entrance. Sofia came to get me, and when Mauri's mom followed, she told me that only one person could enter. I asked if we could tke turns, and the usually cheerful Sofia, just looked past me and told me that this wasn't going to be like this always and that I may not get to see him like this again. So, Pepita waited in the waiting room, and Mauri and I tried to enjoy what we thought might be our last visit together.
We couldn't understand what had happened, and I didn't understand why Sofia seemed so cold. What had I done wrong???
A different nice nurse came to talk to us, and she even let me give Mauri his dinner again. She said that she didn't know what had happened, and why everyone was so serious today, but that she would try to find out. So it seems, the other patient's family had gone to complain that Mauri could see me in person, but that he couldn't see his wife. (Of course, that patient will only be in ICU for a total of 10 days- and Mauri had been there for 2 weeks before he could see me in person every once in awhile). She told us that a lot depended on each patient's doctor, as it really is against policy for people in the ICU to get visits. She explained that some doctors are very strict about it, and then told us about a patient who was there for 6 months, without being able to see his wife who came from far enough away to not get home until 2AM each night!! She described that as being "inhumane," and I would have to agree.
I sadly said goodbye to Mauri, and went home, once again upset.
After some more sleep, though, I felt a bit better.
Thursday was less eventful. Fortunately, though, in the evening, they let me go see Mauri again. It turns out that I can still go see him when possible, but that if there is an emergency patient or anything that prevents the visit, that, of course, it would be an impossibility. That explanation made me feel much better. It wasn't that they didn't want to let me see him anymore, it was just that they were trying to let me know that I shouldn't expect it every day.
Sofia wasn't there, so I couldn't try to see if she still seemed upset with me. Instead, a new nurse Laura, (probably taking over for the retired nurse with "bad milk") let me in. Mauri's mom wasn't allowed in again, and, although it made me feel a little bad for her, I have to admit that I like to have a bit of privacy with Mauri for a change. So, I selfishly have to admit that I'm not too upset about this new rule.
So, thursday night passed, and I felt much better.
Well, once again, I must go...
off to my Saturday evening visit with Mauri.
We'll see if I'm awake enough to can catch you up tonight.

No hay comentarios: