lunes, 16 de junio de 2008

Today's the big day

Well, last night Mauri was feeling pretty low. After the doctor had told him that they might do more skin grafts with the only intact skin left of his body, really, he was pretty upset. He said that he was starting to see things getting better, but if they end up having to do the grafts, that he will be moving backwards again in the way of progressing towards healing. Of course, from the beginning, they told us that he would need to have his legs (the skin donor sites) wrapped up for two weeks. Tomorrow (Wednesday) will mark the two week point since the first surgery- meaning that he would have his right leg unwrapped soon, if they weren't going to take more skin from it.
His left leg, which had been peeled from top to bottom, is what is most painful for Mauri. Apart from that, the bandages that cover the lower leg, also cover part of his foot, and he says that they prevent him from being able to stand, because he has no strength in that leg.
From what the doctors had been telling us up until now, things have sounded positive. Mauri, however, had heard the nurses talking amongst themselves and saying that his back is really burnt- and that it looks white (not a good sign)...
So, he doesn't feel confident about tomorrow.
What I'm most worried about is that if he wakes up to see his lower right leg wrapped up, that he's going to fall into depression. He's already sick of being there, and is constantly affected by the heat, his fever, the constant flow of meds into his system...
On a different note:
I was happy to arrive and see that the work shift had changed, and that the wicked witch of the west was no longer anywhere in sight. That also meant that I was going to get lucky and be able to see Mauri in person. They let me stay waaaaaay past the end of visiting time, and let me do something that I'm supposed to keep secret (OK I got to feed him- so that meant staying past dinner- Noone say anything so that they don't get in trouble for being nice) in the interest of lifting Mauri's spirits because they also said he seemed to be feeling low. (Why do you look so serious today?)
It seems that in the evening, I usually coincide with a few nurses that are very, very nice.
The problem, in trying to judge the people that are taking care of Mauri, is that I can rarely talk to anyone. I usually end up talking to the people at the front desk, two of which feel the need to be on a power trip. Inside, other than for the incident with the nurse that put the speaker/microphone contraption on Mauri's wound and left, I haven't really seen anyone inside that seemed truly evil. There were two that we have thought have "bad milk," but one of them retired last week, and the other, little by little, is starting to warm up to Mauri. (That doesn't mean that she's super nice to him, but she's improving).
Anyways, I felt the need to clarify that since they have started to get to know Mauri, most are now quite friendly to both him and to me.
My overall negative impression of everyone was based upon the fact that the first few days, the people who always give me problems, were the ones that were around. Add to it the lack of information, the inability to talk to anyone behind the window, the not-knowing, and the seeing a few things that shouldn't happen, and the anger of not being able to see Mauri (with no logical reason for it from my standpoint)- well, you understand.
Don't get me wrong, there are still 2 or 3 people that I hate (and they can still make my life miserable), but now I can see over all of that and notice that some people there are actually quite kind (and can really help me out).

Anyways, hopefully today things will go well.
My aunt, Carmen, will be there again (she had to go anyways for a blood analysis)- and Mauri's dad is supposedly going on the bus with me- though I don't exactly understand why. So, it should be an interesting day.

No hay comentarios: